Dust: A Place for Repentance
Published Wednesday, February 17, 2021
Presented by: Bishop Cynthia Moore-Koikoi
Scripture Focus: Joel 2:12-19
Thematic Focus: Through the prophet Joel, God calls God’s people to authentic repentance.
Questions for continuing reflection:
- What are you hearing from God concerning the journey of personal repentance at the beginning of this Lenten season? Where is God calling you to allow Jesus to guide you away from distorted fixation, patterns of thought, and practices?
- Without a spirit of judgement, reflect on where you see the church most in need of repentance. What do you hear the Holy Spirit speaking to your heart about where the church needs to “repent in dust and ashes” (Job 42:6)?
- What might repentance look like in your life and in the church’s? What will it demand?
- Reflect on the fact that we always repent in the presence of a God who is eager to forgive and whose grace is always trustworthy. What does that awareness of God’s forgiveness mean to you and how does it impact the journey of repentance.
- Personal confession and repentance
- Prayer for the church’s authentic repentance
- Gratitude for the assurance of God’s mercy and forgiveness